Re: SKOS and OWL - Which set?

Hi Alistair,

 > Does this change your opinion?

Yes. Sorry, I hadn't read your example properly.

 > So I'm saying the best way to interpret equivalence expressions is
 > as being set-like.  They do imply something about sets, but the
 > concepts themselves are not the sets, the sets are the sets of
 > resources that are about the concepts.

OK.

As it happens, in RDF a class is not itself a set instances either, it
is something which has an extension which is in turn a set of instances.
It's this level of indirection which allows you to have things which are
both classes and instances without stepping outside the bounds of normal
set theory. This is quite close to what you are trying to capture here.

 > Now if I say something like ...
 >
 > <soks:Concept rdf:about="#A">
 > 	<owl:equivalentClass rdf:parseType="resource">
 > 		<owl:intersectionOf rdf:parseType="collection">
 >   			<soks:Concept rdf:about="#B"/>
 > 			<soks:Concept rdf:about="#C"/>
 > 		</owl:intersectionOf>
 > 	</owl:equivalentClass>
 > </soks:Concept>
 >
 > ... I am in fact saying something about the things that are true
 > instances of the concepts.  That is, things with the property
 > <rdf:type> pointing to the concepts.

There are certainly KOS applications in which this is a perfectly valid
modelling approach - where the concepts can be reasonably treated as
classes, where the resources being organized are instances of the
concept and in those cases this is a good way of expressing the mapping
which does allow you to transform queries.

However, I do agree with you that thesauri don't typically work that way
and using rdf:type to represent the relationship between the concept and
the resources associated with that concept is not always going to be
appropriate. So I do agree with your approach.

It is a shame to end up with something which is so decoupled from
RDFS/OWL though. There do seem to be applications where people start out
with an informal thesaurus like model of the world and then over time
move to a more ontology-like model (the GeneOntology is, perhaps, an
example of this). It would be appealing to have a KOS representation
that facilitated that by exploiting the quite forgiving nature of the
RDFS semantics but I guess there is too much of a disconnect with
thesauri to make that work.

[And I still recommend changing rdf:li but that's a minor point.]

Cheers,
Dave