NEW Issue 9 - Concept Mapping

From: Miles, AJ (Alistair) <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 16:02:05 -0000
To: "'public-esw-thes@w3.org'" <public-esw-thes@w3.org>

Hi everyone,

I've had a go at writing up 'the biggie' - inter-thesaurus mapping.  It's
Issue 9 on the RDFThesaurus wiki <http://esw.w3.org/topic/RdfThesaurus>.  I
found that it's a problem that seems very simple on the surface, then
explodes a bit when you get into it.  So anyway, I've done my best to be as
clear as possible about it, I look forward to your comments and ideas.

Al.

Issue 9 - Inter-thesaurus mapping

For an introduction to the problem space, a good reference is Semantic
Problems of Thesaurus Mapping
<http://jodi.ecs.soton.ac.uk/Articles/v01/i08/Doerr/>.

The problem: How to express a mapping from concepts in one thesaurus to
concepts in another?

The current (non-semweb) solution: A mapping relationship between concepts
from different thesauri is usually called an "equivalence relationship". The
following equivalence relationships are used:

CCLRC - Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
Building R1 Room 1.60
Fermi Avenue
Chilton