Re: Exploring reference by description for concepts.

From: Dave Reynolds <der@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Nov 2003 15:02:26 +0000
To: "Miles, AJ (Alistair) " <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>
Cc: "Dave Beckett (E-mail)" <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>, "Dan Brickley (E-mail)" <danbri@w3.org>, "'public-esw-thes@w3.org'" <public-esw-thes@w3.org>

Hi Alistair,

> At the last SWAD-E technical meeting it was suggested that rather than give
> each concept in a thesaurus a URI, we could use reference by description.
> So we could have thesaurus data that looks like:
>
> <soks:Concept>
> 	<soks:prefLabel>bangers and mash</soks:prefLabel>
> 	<rdfs:label>bangers & mash</rdfs:label>
> 	<rdfs:label>sausage and mash</rdfs:label>
> 	<rdfs:isDefinedBy
> rdf:resource="http://www.bigal.com/alsfoodthesaurus"/>
> </soks:Concept>

I'd be inclined to have a URI label:
     <soks:hasURI rdf:resource=http://www.bigal.com/alsfoodthesaurus/bandm" />

The point being that the same concept might be defined in several ontologies
with different URIs. Then the hasURI can be an InverseFunctionalProperty whereas
prefLabel is only unique relative to a specific thesaurus.

The value of this over simply letting each thesaurus define its own URI and
adding separate owl:sameAs statements is possibly not that great.

Cheers,
Dave