Re: User Experience Guide for accessibility metadata 2.0 first public draft available for review

Hi all,

Thanks for including me in this conversation.

Certainly, coordinating accessibility metadata makes a lot of sense, and is a fruitful avenue for exploration.

“Format-agnostic” is a challenge when addressing considerations that tend to occur primarily in the context of specific formats or use cases. Publications are a significant fraction of PDF content… but PDF is a “general purpose” document format rather than a “publication format” - and includes capabilities that aren’t addressed by publication-centric specifications. Examples that come quickly to mind include redactions, annotations and artifacts with positional semantics. Other situations that occur frequently in PDF are extracted subsets of pages and collations of pages from multiple sources. In general, it’s unclear to me how this document addresses these situations where the file is modified after publication.

As such, and based on a brief review, I’m inclined to agree with Leonard that this document’s focus appears specific to EPUB, and would suggest that it’s named that way to avoid confusing the marketplace.

I’m sure that there would be interest in PDF’s technical community for cross-pollination in this area, and I’m happy to discuss it.

Duff Johnson

PDF Association, CEO
https://www.pdfa.org

p  +1.617 283 4226
e  duff.johnson@pdfa.org
l  http://www.linkedin.com/in/duffjohnson/

Have you downloaded your no-cost copy of ISO 32000-2? Visit:
https://www.pdfa.org/sponsored-standards/