Re: Minutes from EPUB.Next

Hello Colin,

I am a designer/artist who spent 2 years working on an MA thesis exploring possibilities of EPUB as a dissemination vehicle that supports self-publishing, accessibility and offline rich media. I created a demonstration EPUB3 (’The Honeyed Tale’) that is available for download through my website <https://www.artbyrt.com/artbyrt_docs/splash_film.html> and through Apple ibooks (it’s a little dated now). Within the current download of EPUB limits (e.g. ~30mb) it is possible to include short video that will play inside of a supporting reader.

I was recently sent a link to an Indigenous production of Canada’s Library and Archives  <https://www.bac-lac.gc.ca/fra/decouvrez/patrimoine-autochtone/initiatives/Pages/nations-a-nations-voix-autochtones-BAC.aspx>that is a whopping 475mb. Needless to say, it would not download, but it shows that developers are testing the limits in the service of packaged discrete content.

Currently, I am working on an accessible graphic novel chap-book series being developed in EPUB3, where my method of containment will be to create images optimized to best effect as well as screen reader description along with an audio track of description for accessibility support. All of this should come in at just under 30mb for each chap-book.

I only have a very minimal understanding of programming. I have used the tools and markup as they currently exist and continually test to insure EPUB3 compliance and intention. I hope that this demonstrates a ‘type’ of EPUB3 builder/user. If that helps...

ruth tait
http://www.artbyrt.com
O: 613 604 2781