User Experience Guide for Displaying Accessibility metadata for EPUB

From: Charles LaPierre <charlesl@benetech.org>
Date: Thu, 30 May 2019 15:58:15 +0000
To: "public-epub3@w3.org" <public-epub3@w3.org>
CC: DIAGRAM Standards Working Group <diagram_standards@benetech.org>, Transition to accessible EPUB <transition-to-accessible-epub@mail.daisy.org>
Dear EPUB 3 Community Group,

As you know the EPUB Accessibility Conformance and Discovery Specification requires Schema.org<http://Schema.org> accessibility metadata to be embedded in a conforming  EPUB file. VitalSource is the first to expose this metadata in their catalog. We want to encourage this as a best practice in library and distributor catalogues. Also, we felt that Schema.org<http://Schema.org> and/or ONIX metadata needed guidelines to present this vital accessibility information to end users.

Therefore, The DAISY Transition to Accessible EPUB and the DIAGRAM Standards working groups jointly authored the “User Experience Guide for Displaying Accessibility metadata for EPUB.”

We are asking the EPUB 3 Community Group to review and comment on this guideline. Here are the links to the document[1]<https://benetech.github.io/UX-Guide-EPUB-A11y-Metadata//UXGuideForMetadata.html> and the issue tracker[2]<https://github.com/benetech/UX-Guide-EPUB-A11y-Metadata/issues> you can use for comments.
We look forward to your review, comments, and thoughts on next steps for this guide.

Sincerely,

Charles, on behalf of the DIAGRAM Center Standards and the DAISY Transition to accessible EPUB working groups.