Re: virtual pages is it a best practice?

From: fabrizio venerandi <fabrizio.venerandi@quintadicopertina.com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2019 23:03:27 +0200
Cc: Bill Kasdorf <kasdorf.bill@gmail.com>, George Kerscher <kerscher@montana.com>, W3C EPUB 3 Community Group <public-epub3@w3.org>
To: Heather Hedden <heather@hedden.net>
Hi Heather and all,

> Virtual pages can also support the implementation of back-of-the-book style browsable indexes. Index entries in print point to page numbers; index entries in ebooks should redirect to the virtual page. Index entries refer to topics discussed, perhaps in a paragraph or more, not to merely a matching single word in the text, thus a link to a "page" is more appropriate than a link to a word in the middle of a sentence.

I'm not in love with the concept of "virtual pages". There are no pages in a digital scroll.
There was a good tool in ePub to select a single word, paragraphs or more: the Canonical Fragment Identifiers.
I never see a real support for CFI and now it is gone: why? And why create another wheel when the CFI was a good digital way to link to a "place" inside an ebook and have a sharable definition?

Have nice day

Fabrizio