Re: Chemistry agenda for May 21 at 15 UTC [+ some notes about requirements]

From: Liam R. E. Quin <liam@fromoldbooks.org>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 01:51:01 -0400
To: George Kerscher <kerscher@montana.com>, Transition to Accessible EPUB <transition-to-accessible-epub@daisy.org>, DIAGRAM Standards <diagram_standards@benetech.org>, W3C EPUB 3 Community Group <public-epub3@w3.org>
Cc: Jessica White <jessica.white@macmillan.com>, Peter Murray Rust <pm286@cam.ac.uk>, Volker Sorge <volker.sorge@gmail.com>, "Supalo, Cary A" <csupalo@ets.org>, Dorine in 't Veld <DorineintVeld@dedicon.nl>, John Gardner <john.gardner@ViewPlus.com>, Judy Brewer <jbrewer@w3.org>, Janina Sajka <janina@rednote.net>, John Pedersen <jpederse@wiley.com>, "Soiffer, Neil" <soiffer@alum.mit.edu>, Ron Ellis <rone@benetech.org>, "Barrett, Dan" <Dan.Barrett@hmhco.com>, Derrick Smith <dws0009@uah.edu>, "Bressack, Cailin Barrett" <cbressack@wwnorton.com>, "Volpe, Christina" <cvolpe@wiley.com>, Joshua Hori <jhori@ucdavis.edu>, Lisa Wadors <lisaw@benetech.org>
On Mon, 2019-05-13 at 17:48 -0600, George Kerscher wrote:
> Dear Chemistry folks,
>
> Based on the doodle pole, we have our next call scheduled.
i’ll try to be there; i’m sorry i haven’t been on the calls much.
However, i have been following the minutes when i can.

Do we have a formal list of requirements? Perhaps that could be our
first item to write up in a community group?

Since i haven't see such a thing go by, here are some notes.

1. Everywhere: the same markup works on the open web and in ebooks, and
ideally in HTML and XML elsewhere.
2. Responsive: supports linebreaking of large equations, e.g. on phone
screens.
3. Accessible: can be read aloud, zoomed, copied, pasted etc.
4. Semantic: supports searching for all reactions involving iodine (I)
for example, without having to look at every use of the word I in a
whole book.
5. Ubiquity: Can be used in running text, not just blocks or figures.
Yes, there are even book titles (more common in journals) that contain
chemical and mathematical notations.

Liam

--
Liam Quin, https://www.delightfulcomputing.com/