Re: Documenting EPUB feature requests

Number 10….
No native support for book-specific semantics. For academic publishing in particular, the absence of native support for book-specific structures such as glossaries, note reference systems and advanced cross-reference systems pose a limitation that negatively impacts the behavioral repertoire of reading systems.

seems to address my previous comment ref. *footnotes*. As I do not have the ability to work with scripts (I’m a designer, not a programmer), I’m reliant on working with current markup contexts. This, by definition, undermines the idea of a *best practice*… and exists more in the realm of hack or best guess. Without faulting the work of the EPUB cg, I would stress that these book-specific semantics do have explicit, non-negotionable functions. EPUB UX and users will benefit from addressing these semantics in a specific, targeted way.

ruth tait