From: Laurent Le Meur
Sent: Wednesday, August 7, 2019 19:40
To: Dave Cramer
Cc: W3C EPUB3 Community Group
Subject: Re: EPUB Road Map

Hi,

Because (X)HTML 5 is a living standard, this would make sense for EPUB 3 to be also a living standard and it would give publishers, distributors and application developers the feeling of stability for EPUB 3 they badly need.

When a snapshot has to be built, for instance to create an equivalence with the ISO EPUB spec, this can still be done via a publication date or a minor version, but in the latter case the communication would still be on "EPUB 3", not on a specific EPUB 3.x.

re. possible revision to EPUB 3, ok for adding core media types of similar updates, to be discussed by the CG and BG;
but opening EPUB 3 to pure HTML would be a nightmare (for EPUB Check and many reading systems especially).

Laurent