From: McCloy-Kelley, Liisa [mailto:lmccloy-kelley@penguinrandomhouse.com]
Sent: Friday, January 19, 2018 3:01 PM
To: David Herron; Dave Cramer
Cc: public-epub3@w3.org; public-publishingbg@w3.org
Subject: Re: Thoughts on the future of EPUB 3

David-

I’m going to respectfully disagree with you. I have a very different opinion of what is the 800-pound gorilla issue that we face at this point.

The “huge player” to whom you refer no longer works the way they once did and is certainly not holding the market back with any kind of inferior reading experience. In fact, they not only accept EPUB for their ingestion, they depend on it and are pushing for content providers to get better at it. They use the epub markup for the footnote popups and have implemented this as well (or better) than any other reading system. They use the page anchors we include to improve navigation. In fact, Penguin Random House sends them only EPUB 3 for all of our reflow titles and even for most of our fixed page children’s picturebooks with javascript pop-ups for text enlargements. And they work!

Ok, so maybe they don’t directly sell EPUB. But they also aren’t sending old mobi files to any new device any more. I don’t know how much you’ve been looking at their reading system over the past year, but while everyone else was focused elsewhere, they implemented a new and really functional reading system across their entire device landscape, a brand new proprietary format and they swapped what seems like the ENTIRE back catalog to update it. I’ve watched as my library of years’ worth of ebooks has had files update to look and work better.

You should take a look. They have a really good reading experience and the content displays better than most (not always, but often).

Everyone here needs to stop worrying about whether they are or were being held back by said “huge player” and start figuring out how to catch up and try to get ahead-- with the content we make and with the reading platforms we develop.

Liisa McCloy-Kelley
VP, Director Ebook Product Development & Innovation, PRH
lmccloy-kelley@penguinrandomhouse.com<mailto:lmccloy-kelley@penguinrandomhouse.com>

 [id:image001.png@01CF7FE3.3A9E4B70]