Da: Avneesh Singh <avneesh.sg@gmail.com>
Inviato: venerdì 7 dicembre 2018 05:40:13
A: Johnson, Rick; deborah.kaplan@suberic.net; 'W3C EPUB 3 Community Group'
Oggetto: Re: [External] Re: New fundamental test book and covers

Good to see that accessibility of cover image has generated such a good
discussion.
Clarifying the objective of this example sent by George.

In EPUB 3, cover was not accessible, we recognized it while development of
WP, and worked on making it accessible.

But EPUB 3.x is still lagging behind in this, so the objective is to provide
a "work around" for providing accessible cover in the existing environment
and existing state of reading systems. This is why the focus is on content
and not on updating reading systems.
It is difficult to come up with precise set of guidelines that will fit all
kind of EPUB publications. So, I think that our approach should be to define
some principles and allow content creators to develop best practices or
their content based on the principles. The principles that we discussed
were:
The main principle is that a cover should solve the same purpose for person
with disability as it would do for any other person. for example, if a cover
image is used for marketing or generating interest in the potential readers,
the alt text should provide the same information to person with disability.
We encourage providing extended description, but it is not a hard
requirement because many publishers are still at the level of providing
meaningful alttext.

Title of the publication is exposed by reading systems, but metadata for
author may or may not be exposed in accessible way.
So, title and author should be provided to ensure that both are available to
readers. In the fundamental test book example, this info is the first piece
in alt text, which is followed by description of the image.

So, the intent is to provide a simple example build on a set of principles,
that can work in existing environment and existing reading systems.

With regards
Avneesh