From: eb2mmrt@gmail.com [mailto:eb2mmrt@gmail.com] On Behalf Of MURATA Makoto
Sent: May 24, 2017 8:25 PM
To: Dave Cramer <dauwhe@gmail.com>
Cc: public-epub3@w3.org
Subject: Re: EPUB3 CG: Save the Date (June 1, 16UTC), Call for Agenda Items

Dave,

Apple iBook does not recognize a reserved prefix(*) which was

introduced in EPUB 3.0.1.  If this prefix is explicitly declared,

iBook has no problems in handling it.  But if it is not, iBook reports

an error.  Since this prefix is predefined in EPUB 3.0.1, this

behaviour does not conform to 3.0.1.  Apple turned down the request by

KADOKAWA to change this behavior.

* http://www.idpf.org/epub/301/spec/epub-publications.html#sec-metadata-reserved-vocabs

I am personally sympathetic to Apple, as additions of reserved

prefixes causes troubles to existing RSs.  I thus propose to add

a warning about this issue and a recommendation to explicit

declare this prefix by publishing an erratum to EPUB 3.0.1 and 3.1.

I hope that this topic can be discussed in the CG.

Regards,

Makoto

Hi Everyone,

The next teleconference for the EPUB 3 Community Group will be Thursday, June 1, at 1600 UTC.

We would welcome suggestions for agenda items. Two ideas:

[1] Education: getting the task force up and running, and finding one or more volunteers to lead the effort.

[2] Rendering: I've started sketching out some thoughts on full bleed images in EPUB on the wiki: https://github.com/w3c/publ-cg/wiki/Rendering. We'd love to see more ideas, use cases, examples, and especially feedback from reading systems.

What topics would you like to discuss?

We'll send out the phone/webex info once we have a draft agenda.

Thanks!

Dave Cramer

Makoto