From: Jens Tröger <jens.troeger@light-speed.de>
Sent: August 11, 2021 5:44 PM
To: Matt Garrish <matt.garrish@gmail.com>
Cc: W3C EPUB 3 Working Group <public-epub-wg@w3.org>; W3C Publishing Community Group <public-publishingcg@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Implied DPUB-ARIA endnotes

Hello Matt,

WFIW I’ve come across ebooks generated from TEI.2 XML files (which came from scanning and OCR’ing old printed books) which contained footnotes that had footnotes. Not quite the endnotes scenario you mention here, but considering that there are books out there whose footnotes have footnotes I wouldn’t be surprised to see an endnote with a footnote.

I can build you one, if you want to 😉

Having said that, I usually lean towards more restrictive approaches than allowing theoretical minority edge cases. Happy to comment on a PR, if you have a link…

With kind regards,
Jens

--
Jens Tröger, Founder, Bookalope