Re: EOCred: cost of a credential

Phil, you make a good point about clarifying the use case(s) in this area.

As you identify there are components, and their associated cost(s), and
requirements (courses, experience, memberships, previously obtained
credentials (eg. from a different jurisdiction), etc.  Dependant on
particular users’ circumstances these could easily expand into a
significant multi-dimension matrix of possibilities and costs.

Going back to Schema.org basics, it is about describing *Things* and their
relationships.  In your scenario we have some basic Things (components) —
the Credential; the *Organization*(s) which provide the credential; the
*Offer*(s) that *Organization*(s) make to provide the Credential
detailing/referencing any costs and criteria for a specific Offer; a
*Course* that either [if successfully completed] leads to obtaining a
Credential or, is a requirement for gaining a Credential; the
Organization(s) *Offer*ing the Courses with associated costs etc.

Dependant on your view or use, these Things may be related in different
ways with either the *Course*, Credential, or *Organization* being seen as
the primary searchable component, but if they are related correctly all
views should be supportable.

As discussed previously, Course <http://schema.org/Course>, Organization
<http://schema.org/Organization>, and Offer <http://schema.org/Offer> are
already established Types in Schema.org, [with a few tweaks to link a
Credential Thing into the model] taking us a long way towards our goal.
With the AggregateOffer <http://schema.org/AggregateOffer> subtype, and
properties such as addOn <http://schema.org/addOn>, the *Offer*
functionality, plus lots of established practice in Schema.org for complex
offers to sell Products or loan items, is sufficient to describe our needs,
at least initially.

A simple case of an Organization offering a course with subsequent
credential, or the credential on its own if the applicant had sufficient
qualifications from elsewhere.  Could be described with 2-3 *Offer*
descriptions:

   1. An *Offer* to provide the Credential alone, with specific cost and
   description of eligibility (as discussed previously)
   2. An *Offer* to provide the *Course*, with specific cost and
   description of eligibility, plus an *addOn* *Offer*; which would either
   be a link to *Offer* 1., or (if costs/criteria are different in this
   case) a link to *Offer* 3.
   3. An *Offer* referenced from Offer 2. as the *addOn* *Offer* to provide
   the Credential subsequent to completion of the *Course* offered in
   *Offer* 2.

With the above example it would be perfectly possible to describe a
course/credential combination at a single cost.  i.e. Main *Offer *describing
the combination cost, linking to specific* addOn Offer *with a zero cost*.*

I don’t believe anyone should be responsible for aggregating these costs,
but some people/organisations may want to do this at an organisational,
regional, or global level, and we should provide the mechanisms to
facilitate that as well as describing the individual components fully.  The
current *Offer* structure in Schema.org should be sufficient to do this.

~Richard.

Richard Wallis
Founder, Data Liberate
http://dataliberate.com