Re: EOCred: cost of a credential

Thanks Stuart, I can see your point, and this is tricky.

The problem I have with rolling-up the cost of associated courses is
that there may be different courses that lead to the same qualification,
maybe offered by different providers at different costs (this is common
in the UK). 'Credit transfer'/'Advanced standing' allowing direct entry
into second or third year of degree programs (courses of study) will
also be a factor in the cost of the course necessary, and we have a use
case for 'onward transfer value' which I think reflects this. I think
the most important point is that the Offer of the Course may not be made
by the same organization making the Offer of the Credential.

Where assessment is a integral part of the award of the credential, then
I can see it might be easier to include in the cost of the credential.
In fact, for the example I used the cost does include the assessment. I
am sure there are exceptions, but in many cases I think assessments
could be rolled into the 'direct costs' of the credential; in most other
cases I think the assessments would be considered a part of the course
(or at least the cost of the assessment would be included in the cost of
the course, which is what matters here).

Would it be fair to say *in general* that the assessments for
credentials are more likely to be standardized, whereas the learning
opportunities that lead to them are quite often variable?

Would a reasonable compromise be to note that we are talking about the
direct costs of the credential, and we assume these
a) should normally include any associated assessment that is required
but not provided as part of a learning opportunity leading to the
credential; where this is not the case the addOn
<http://schema.org/addOn> property of the Offer can be used to indicate
the extra cost of the assessment
b) should normally be separate from the cost of the learning
opportunity; where there is a closely associated course offered by the
same organization it may appropriate to use the addOn property to link
to this.  Where a course is normally required in order to gain a
credential, but this course is not offered by the same organization,
then [whatever solution we come up with for the use case we have about
eligibility requirements] should be used.

Where the cost of the learning opportunity is the major factor, I
suspect that people will be searching for learning opportunities that
lead to the credential, not for the credential itself.

Is my thinking heading in a helpful direction?

If you want the cost to include the learning opportunity then I think we
will need a new property along the lines of "typical aggregated cost".

By 'objects' in  the use cases I intended mean instances of the
EducationalOccupationalCredential type. I think I slipped towards the
end of the page into using it for Educational / Occupational Credentials
in the real world. I'll fix that. Perhaps I should have used resource.

Phil

[note to self, never mention 'quick and easy use cases' ever again.]