Re: EOCred: Identifying subtypes of credential

Sure. I posted my work here.

https://github.com/Lomilar/schemaorg/blob/8dd7f243103c1e997e22189b56f453d599b74762/data/ext/pending/issue-1779.rdfa

Reading the website, an HNC appears to be a certificate with a couple extra
properties.

It could be the case, I have no honest idea, that the Scottish
Qualifications Authority may want to own the terminal definition of HNCs,
but use existing standards for the majority of the definition. I went ahead
and made that assumption, and had an HNC (not a schema.org class) be a
subclass of a EOCertificate, which is a schema.org class and a subclass of
EOCredential. Liberties have been taken, this is purely for illustrative
purposes!

I've also defined a couple of properties that appear to be significant for
HNCs, that they have both credit point and credit hours requirements. The
credit points seem to be distinct from the credit hours. The credit hours
also appear to have assumptions behind them (40 hours of guided learning,
40 hours of self-directed learning) so I specified them as
'hnuCreditsRequired' and the credit points as 'scqfCreditPointsRequired'.
This is by no means exhaustive and it may not be accurate, just a quick
interpretation of the material. hnuCreditsRequired could be added to other
credentials that observe them.

So now HNCs are their own class, but are also a subclass of EOCs, which
means that a more specific search (for HNCs) should bring them up, and a
more general search (for EOCs) should also bring them up, presuming the
search engine can interpret a hierarchical class structure and go fetch
schemas and do all the things that we expect they should be able to do.

-----

I concede that this is a fairly 'puritan' approach to typing, and that it
presumes a certain complexity of the technology used to interpret these
objects (namely to interpret class structures inside and outside schema.org).
It also presumes a willingness for organizations with particular
definitions to extend schema objects with those particularities. If
publishing schemas were as simple as publishing data, this wouldn't be a
problem, but alas.

If this argument fails to convince, perhaps a rename to 'credentialTerm' to
get it away from the connotations of type? I really want some property of
Thing like "alsoCalledA" that allows one to provide a preferred name for
the class of thing it is (commonly found as options in the description, see
CreativeWork's description, for instance).