Re: New Data Science Community [via Electronic Governance Community Group]

re: "all content is data"
I can live with that, provided that all RESTful API's undefine language
proactively per the XML/HTML/XHTML specification.
http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2/#language

Domains federalized by name/concept are abstract communities and have *any*
terminology language (2 character*): xml:lang="".  This is not a trivial point, because a RESTful API, if not language agnostic, defines a
community subset (audience) as the whole community (aka "preaching to
the choir").  This is something a "Data Science Community" should not
do, IMHO.

Concrete example: government entities put out data in just a few languages.
American government web sites are mostly in English with some Spanish.
Americans speak many languages at home, however. (American Community
Survey: http://www.census.gov/hhes/socdemo/language/).  So who is the Federal Government dataset RESTful API audience ? "Public Access"=true entails xml:lang="", IMHO

What does the Data Science Community think about this ?

--Gannon

* The 3 Letter Codes (Bibliographic Languages are a can of worms, they do identify a language spoken-by community)