Re: W3C eGov Today: Project Open Data, Stack Exchange, Data Science

Wow, you Data Scientists will eat anything*

Along the same lines as: The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People Habit 2: Begin With The End In Mind

1) At some point before 1900, the volume of Peer Reviewed publications exceeded the eyeball time of the practitioners.  It became impossible for an individual expert member of the discipline to read all the good stuff.
2) As noted (Census American Community Survey) Americans speak at least 39 languages and language groups at home.

Government Open Data is in the same bind.  The terminology (display language) of government web sites is restricted to a small set.  Constitutions and founding documents worldwide use the same terms - Free Expression or Free Speech, for example. Peer Review, messy as it is, is the process by which peers recognize good stuff regardless of language.  Attempts to carve top level domains out of language constituencies are seriously misguided, IMHO (W3C tag, W3C uri, W3c iri, etc.).  Unicode or the lack of Unicode is not a systemic access problem for Open Government Data unless made so by hexadecimal fan bois. Most government pages get by on a few languages, and then there's europa.eu that has 20 something.  If it is true that "money talks" that means it classifies people in the same way as language. Governments get by on one currency.  Some colors and numbers are more attractive than others, apparently and transparently.

Beginning with the end in mind ...

europa.eu is tending toward an interlingua - an auxiliary language of peer reviewers and Government Open Data speaks this same language and uses the same diversity of coin.

That's what this categorization is all about.

http://www.rustprivacy.org/faca/ogd/

Sorry about the character sets, my data base instances are not in sync. working on it.

--Gannon

* A school teacher friend recently arrived in Kiev recommends Tapas (Spanish cuisine appetizers) with local Horseradish Vodka. The Facebook picture of the restaurant sign in Cyrillic was just plain odd looking, however.