Re: RSVP to "Hangout" during White House Safety Datapalooza - Tue Jan 14, Official Media Advisory

The official White House webcast is now live:

    http://bit.ly/safetydatawebcast

Lots more links, their agenda, our Hangout agenda, from:

    http://e-democracy.org/civictechhangout

Twitter:

    #safetydata - http://bit.ly/safetydatatwitter

Join our waiting list at the link just above in case more volunteers
jump forward to host additional break-out sessions starting at 12:30
p.m. Eastern.

Cheers,
Steven Clift
E-Democracy.org

P.S. Noting the USDA location for this event brought back memories.
Waaaay back in 1993, an informal group of Federal staff started a
group called Americans Communicating Electronically (ACE). As a
graduate student I was interning in the House and ended up joining
their efforts. So here is a shout out to those early pioneers!

From:
http://www.morino.org/under_sp_pro.asp

The Promise and Challenge of a New Communications Age
Unlocking the Doors to Opportunity
1995, Morino Institute.

7. Demand awareness and change in the government.

Government can, and must, be an integral part of the communications
revolution. Its role is crucial. Some local, state and federal leaders
and agencies are aware of the changes and potential, but many more are
not. Too often they are focused on the technology rather than on the
individual, social and economic implications. One group that is
helping is Americans Communicating Electronically (ACE), an unofficial
association of public servants and citizens exploring alternatives for
improving communications between the government and the public and for
making government information more accessible. According to Tom Tate,
of the US Department of Agriculture and one of ACE’s leaders, "Early
in the ACE experiment, several forward-thinking public servants began
looking to public access networks as vehicles for that action. Since
that time, more than 70 federal agencies have committed to making
information and personnel accessible electronically."13

Citizens should strive to see that government at all levels
understands the issues of interactive communications, that they are
receiving the right education and training and, most importantly, that
they are thinking about and implementing processes that use the medium
to benefit communities. It is absolutely essential for citizens to
require that government employess and government information become
available online and that they advocate policies which advance the
growth of interactive communications for the common good. Write
letters, attend town hall meetings, persuade elected and appointed
officials, form grass-roots lobbying organizations, work with local
groups — such as a local public access network — to form a multiplier
effect in communicating with government figures. Search out examples
of how governments in other communities are serving their citizens
through interactive communications and examine whether such benefit is
possible in your community as well. These efforts are a great way to
experience the organizing and collaborative power of interactive
communications. Help elect officials that understand and support the
responsible growth of interactive communications and educate officials
who do not.

Steven Clift - http://stevenclift.com
  Executive Director - http://E-Democracy.org
  Twitter: http://twitter.com/democracy