 From: Gannon Dick <gannon_dick@yahoo.com>
To: eGov IG (Public) <public-egov-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2012 1:36 PM
Subject: Pencil and Paper / Reduced UTF-8

The list of HTML Entities is very long and many of the character table entries find little use in the US.  In any event, the HTML Entities have been superceeded by Unicodes.  Some characters, and combinations still need "extra" data to make sense in a diverse Public Sector + Private Sector ecosystem.  On a Regional and Community level, shared data often comes in the form of subsets of large federalized sets, and there is no good reason to redefine the point names of the data, but rather to just describe, in plain text, the new subset and perhaps the URI source.

This scheme, or something like it will do that job.  http://tinyurl.com/reduced-charset

--Gannon