Re: ΑΠ: RegOrg ontology

As an aside, a Fed Dept. here is working on a UML based system which will allow for ITSM and ticketing with any provider by providing a generic standard (via API's?) by which to interact with IT support and managed service providers. Will try obtain details to pass on for potential collaboration or reuse. :)

Chris

Sent from Samsung MobileChristopher Gutteridge <cjg@ecs.soton.ac.uk> wrote:Initial feedback. This has turned into more of a brain dump than I expected.

For background, I'm looking getting into our University ticketing system (BMC Remedy) using an API and exporting the information as Linked (but not open) Data, for integration into other internal systems and also augmenting it using links to open data.

If may be that my usecase is different enough that my thoughts are unhelpful, in which case feel free to ignore anything!

1. Can you put a mimetype on http://www.samos.gr/ontologies/helpdeskOnto.owl so it's easier to load into RDF aware tools. It's reporting 'text/plain'

2. Remove needless use of the word 'government'. There's no reason to give the impression it won't be of use for any ticket-based helpdesk at any organisation. It's not in the semantics, just the ontology description.

3. Tickets often have a thread of discussion and people working on them. Possibly SIOC would be useful here?

4. Tickets often have open/close/reopen events.

5. Tickets & tasks frequently have an associated service (email, internet access, scanner in building 7)

6. Tickets have events of being assigned to people or teams.

7. Typo on #IT_Support_Ticket rdfs:comment@en : " resollved" should be "resolved".

8. I'm always very cautious about inventing new 'title' and 'description' terms -- the world has enough of these already. I would strongly consider treating a ticket as a sioc:Post and just use dcterms:title and sioc:content. The more generic terms you use, the more your data can work with other tools without anybody having to do mapping exercises. The other value of SIOC is that it gives you reply threads already well defined.

9. You've made a very dangerous assumption that tasks have numeric integer IDs. I would have used skos:notation for this and given the task IDs a datatype appropriate for the system eg. <ticket> skos:notation "SL39122"^^<http://id.southampton.ac.uk/ns/ServiceLineTicketIDScheme> . This way tickets can have non-numeric values, and even, in rare cases, have identifiers from multiple schemes. This may happen if a migration is done and tickets are moved from one system to another, they would potentially have more than one ID, but in different ID schemes.