Re: StratML Wiki?

Hi Owen,

I told you I'd help you out with implementation when the time came.  I guess time has come.

At present, with no modifications, it is possible to import a MSWORD document into LibreOffice[1] and export a MediaWiki (text) file.  This need not even be saved, but can be copied and pasted into the W3C Wikis (provided they still work the same as the last time I used them a few years ago).

Frank Bennett has some good points though (especially that intrigueing "pencil and paper" technology).  I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I got the impression that he was concerned about the ability to control creative output without formal DRM.  I've always preferred the transparent nuclear redaction option myself (RUSTprivacy).  With a format change from XML to MediaWiki there is no reason to consider data recovery (or RDF for distribution - don't tell ernadette-BAY yland-HAY).  In fact, it's harmful - a farmer digging up plants to "see how the roots are doing".  My short comment about the "Flat Earth" was really about a Flat Time analog being dangerous to strategic planning progress.  Congress proves that even BAD things take time.

Other aspects of local machine creation, like local validation of not-ready-for-primetime observations are cookbook stuff, but you can't assume your friendly vendor will automatically give you a pencil and paper quarentine.  The NSA has been all over this for years[2].  Me too[3].

If you don't want to use LibreOffice, or OpenOffice, then you can consider embeding StratML in a bibliographic citation of XHTML ... XSD schemas are chainable[4].  Or, use the National Library of Medicine's JATS[5] as a wrapper.  Or even DWML from the National Weather Service (nobody beats those people for compartmentalizing tactical information which might otherwise be used as permanent strategy decorations).

If you could let me know in very rough terms what you want to be able to do, I could get started.

--Gannon

[1] http://www.documentfoundation.org/
[2] http://www.nsa.gov/ia/_files/support/I733-028R-2008.pdf
[3] http://www.rustprivacy.org/TakingWorkHome.pdf