 From: Gannon Dick <gannon_dick@yahoo.com>
To: Owen Ambur <Owen.Ambur@verizon.net>; eGov IG (Public) <public-egov-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Monday, November 5, 2012 10:29 AM
Subject: Re: Prepublication Public Sector Information (was: Data Mining / Cloud Computing)

Thanks Owen,

Public Information and the Public Domain overlap.  Firewalls block or pass data formats, not information.  The logical requirement of stewardship (the eGov version of shared ownership with NGO's) is that references to scheme names be understood on both sides of a firewall.  Data Miners and Web Search Engines haven't forgotten how to do this, they just don't want to, and they don't want eGovernments to say it was all worked out a decade or more ago.

There are two cases of broken reference, I think of them as type "Rosebud"[1] and type "Croatoan"[2].  Both complicate Open Data, but neither are format or interoperability issues.  The XML Format is is sufficient to address both issues, but fails when it comes to differentiating relavance.  The PII Namespace is a variant on "Security through obscurity".  Or, if you like, call it exactly what it is ... Security through throwing out the irrelavant.  Yes, we all understand that pictures of one's own grandchildren differ in cuteness by several orders of magnitude from others, but their inclusion in Agency Strategic Planning is problematic because another cuteness event of higher priority may occur at any moment.  How about we just leave them out, OK ?

Data Miners want to leave the grandkids pix in.  eGovernments need only say no to that "innovation".  It does not mean less (relavant) data nor does it mean that Mobile Data is less secure.  What it does mean is that Mobile Devices cannot dictate concept equivalance or naming conventions on the other side of a firebreak[3].

When a single data file is tightly bound to a license and a privacy policy, there is only one use case.

--Gannon

[1] Sentimental but obscure attachment to a brand name.  It was a snow sled.  Get bask to work.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizen_Kane
[2] A reference name which has lost a definition.  Carved in a tree, don't know why.  Get back to work
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roanoke_Island
c.f. It's pronounced "We The People".  Get back to work.
Star Trek #54, The Omega Glory http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipe5EjcchvY