Re: Restarting W3C eGov Meetings and Roadmap

Hi John

> Many of the participants in the new, fresh W3C eGov discussion will  have been at this week's events in Brussels, including "Semantic Interoperability" <http://bit.ly/KEGpQr>, "Using Open Data" <http://bit.ly/yN8Exb> and "Digital Agenda Assembly" <http://bit.ly/L37Ksa>. Although I could only participate in the
second, I must say I did not hear any calls to stop the meeting and
> define terms --- there seems to be a consensus in the room of what is meant by e-government.

what is consensus what is meant by e-governemnt then?

I attended all three last year 2011, but not this year.

I agree, nobody stopped the meeting, but there was terrible confusion
in what was being done and talked about
(may have changed by now, but I doubt it)

Back then I left rather worried that most consensus  then was seemed
to be rather 'apparent',  largely the result of superficial discourse.

Have things improved since then?

It is easy to get consensus when  avoiding the fundamental issues.

In the 'corridor' type conversations I had then, most participants I
talked to did share serious concerns (whispering)  that people did not
have a clue really about they were talking about and nobody could
answer key questions. it was glorified chit chat with the pretense of
making things happen democratically, but it was easy to see how the
real score was being set elsewhere, behind the scenes, and well away
from public scrutiny.
However nobody wanted to spoil the party by saying so.
Of course there is consensus when everybody is having fun.

This is how things are done, John, as far as I observe them:
thre is political manipulation of intents that happens somewhere along
the line, pretty much in every government

Some believe that through the appropriate use of new technologies,
such as the web, we have the ability to change these distortions, but
that implies becoming rather pedantic at times, often at great
personal cost,

> Maybe that's because the participants are so refreshing engaged, thinking about practical ways to use government open data to reach out  to citizens, to implement evidence-based policy making, and other innovations in participatory government. We are living in exciting  times, with enormous opportunities to affect change in the world!

Yes, definitely, and we have to make sure the world changes for the
best, and not let superficiality and apparent consensus make
irreversible fundamental mistakes about the nature of eGov, as well as
everything else we talk about.

> My point is, I hope we spend time in eGov talking about these >sorts of innovations and less about definitions...

 Sure:-)  I hope that we can spend time talking about exciting
innovations making sure we  do not rely too much on false assumptions
and with clear shared understanding of what each of us is doing,
otherwise we run the risk of making the same mistakes over and over.

PDM