From: Gannon Dick <gannon_dick@yahoo.com>
To: "Jordanous, Anna" <anna.jordanous@kcl.ac.uk>; "public-lod@w3.org" <public-lod@w3.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2012 3:34 PM
Subject: URNs for display language (was URIs for languages)

Hi All,

The Librarians at the LOC are a fussy bunch.  The three letter codes are further split into codes for "bibliographic" and "terminology" use.  The two letter codes have no such distinction, and by default, are all for 'terminology' use.

This distinction is metaphysically huge: what they are saying is that the two letter codes and the three letter counterparts where they exist, should only be used for Communications (like web pages).  The 'bibliographic' codes are reserved to describe abilities (properties) of a Natural Person.  Since ancient Greeks had no websites, unless you are citing original  "original" documents, there is no need for the short code (and as upsetting as it was, most people have gotten over the the fall of Constantinople).

I made a portal, for Communications (only).  http://bit.ly/xJmX4y     "Names of Display Languages"

It can be addressed by URN  e.g. http://bit.ly/xJmX4y#urn:lang:el:

The corresponding "Names of Bibliographic and Human Languages" portal has a much different nature.  Since those language names are used to encode actual people there are privacy issues and eGov entailments.  I think it's best that any encoding scheme be tightly bound to any eGov framework.  That way every Government is able to take advantage of the user defined - unencoded - language groups in ISO 639-5, and there is no taint of foreign "control".  That portal will provide for maintenance too.  It's not quite ready :)

--Gannon