what do you mean, e-gov?

Just another input to a discussion that is clearly a moving target.
Therefore imho only an abstract definition aiming at the business level
could stand for more than 1-2 years.
Vassilios Peristeras

Copied from
Peristeras V., Mentzas G., Abecker A., Tarabanis K., *Transforming
eGovernment and eParticipation through ITI (editorial),* *IEEE Intelligent
Systems* 24 (5), Sep/Oct 2009 .
Vassilios ****

 ** **** **There is not a unique and commonly accepted way of defining
eGovernment and eParticipation. Analysing the multiple definitions that
have become available during the last 10-15 years from international
organizations, consulting companies, the academia and research community,
we can draw some interesting findings.****

“EGovernment” appears as a term in the literature and practice in the
mid-late 90ies. “EParticipation” is adopted as a reference term later after
the turn of the century. It seems that “eDemocracy” has been for some years
an equivalent term to the latter but during the recent years gave its place
to eParticipation and is not that common any more. Interestingly, in the ***
*USA**** “eGovernment” was never used in the same frequency as in EU but
rather the term “Digital Government” was preferred instead. ****

Trying to abstract from the several definitions, we could define the
governance system as the union of the political and administrative
sub-systems exposing two major types of identifiable society-governance
interfaces that support relevant interactions:****

**·         **the society – political system interface, mainly causing
interactions through the public policy analysis, formulation and selection
process ****

**·         **the society-administrative system interface, mainly causing
interactions through the public service provision process ****

The use of ICT in these two interfaces could be respectively identified as
eParticipation and eGovernment (or Digital Government) (fig. 1). ****

****

*Figure **1**: The two major interfaces between society and the governance
system***

The extend and way ICT *have*, *could* or *should* change or even
revolutionize these interfaces still remains a research topic and at the
same time a tough policy and implementation puzzle for governments around
the globe.  In this special issue, we focus on how intelligent technologies
could facilitate this process.****

** **

** **

** **