 From: Paola Di Maio <paola.dimaio@gmail.com>
To: eGov IG (Public) <public-egov-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 24, 2012 2:09 PM
Subject: what do you mean, e-gov?

For those who have been around the last twenty years or any
subset thereof, the question is not new. We each seem to
use the same word with different meanings (anyone else laughing hysterically at this point?)

I was recently giving a talk and providing my own definition(s), and would have liked
to point to the W3C definition of egov. But I could not remember whether we agreed on one, and where it can be accessed.  Admittedly I have been away a lot lately.

For example,  for me egovernance applies to both
the governance of civil society institutions (presumably the governance democratic institutions that are ruled by first principles, and the universal declaration of human rights, although in reality there may not be many governments that do so), as well as the governance of online communities, whereby the information and decisions are mediated by online technologies, or something like that. But not sure if this has been discussed
I do not remember any such discussions on list. Is it my memory failing me again?

Any threads/uri's someone could kindly repost if these questions have already been asked?

if not, i would invite the IG Chairs to start off with some proposed definitions, either on list or on wiki page possibly one for each term in our shared vocabulary, (wiki? url......), then  members (other than pure lurkers) could introduce themseles and get their active participation in the
group going by entering their own definitions/variations, with possibly a link to their profile
so that we can start getting to know each other meaningfully?:-)

sincerely

PDM