Re: GIS Data

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 6:18 AM, Chris Beer <chris@codex.net.au> wrote:
> Hi Brian
> All Federal level Govt GIS which is publically released in Australia is done
> so under Creative Commons (CC-by) and is treated as Open PSI. In the same
> vein I suspect you may find there are US jurisdictions which may have moved
> to CC and just bundle datasets inc GIS into the PSI CC licensed space.
> Certain jusrisdictions in Australia (Brisbane City Council for instance)
> release thier GIS under CC-0 - that is Public Domain, no restrictions at
> all.
> GIS Web Services often are an overlooked area here - its not seen as
> released or published in the classic sense, and service usage rights are
> often very liberal.
> A US example of GIS btw is PASDA in Penn. http://www.pasda.psu.edu/about/
> Cheers
> C.

Chris,

interesting point - there is release of data, then there is release of
data in a consumable form. I recently completed some work with an AU
government organisation that has a lot to do with providing GIS data
to industry and interested citizens. Consumers of the data fell into
three fairly distinct types:
- large organisations that just wanted the data that they wanted, and
as much of it as they could get - based on the understanding that they
had the resources necessary to manipulate the data in whichever way
necessary
- smaller organisations that wanted value-adds wherever possible to
minimise the required legwork needed prior to consuming the data
- others (including private citizens) who did not really want data,
but the answers that the data could provide them, and for whom the raw
data was pretty much useless.

The organisation may be looking toward a future where they have a
smart catalog for those in the first category, a referral system for
assistance for those in the second category, and a lower barrier to
entry geoportal for those in the third category.

If I get back there to assist with follow-on work I will happily
assist with the case study.

Best regards, Andrew

--
---