From: public-egov-ig-request@w3.org [mailto:public-egov-ig-request@w3.org] On Behalf Of Gannon Dick
Sent: Wednesday, 9 March 2011 9:37 AM
To: public-egov-ig@w3.org
Subject: RE: The PII Namespace

Hi Malcolm,

Let me first say that I agree with you (and Mr. Abrams) completely.  I took your advice to heart (the link below).  I do not believe a comprehensive policy agreement on privacy between the Public Sector and Private Sector is attainable.  The temptation to paralysis by technical legal argument is too big.  The Public Sector does have a choice to leverage their well known and widely accepted motivations regardless of the additional concerns of the Private Sector.

Even in Open Source Software, there are legacy and redundant metadata terms. It is clear that any privacy regulation must be a bargain in Good Faith, but that in no way precludes unilateral implementation of a privacy policy by the Public Sector or the use of appropriate shortcuts, although they may only be circumstantially available to the Public Sector.

There is also a link on the page below which contains source code in a zip file.  I also includes "rustthesql.pdf" which explains how the PII Namespace might be used with SQL and data bases.  Some of the SQL is frankly, bad and should not be ROR'ed without a rewrite, but the idea itself is not so bad.

--Gannon

[1]     http://tinyurl.com/5t5rlm7
Or, give your recipients confidence with a preview TinyURL:
    http://preview.tinyurl.com/5t5rlm7

(links to ...) http://www.rustprivacy.org/2011/pii/cnpii.xml