Re: The PII Namespace

Hi Chris,

With respect to your question about how PII might help an agency reinforce a stated privacy policy ...

I assume that an Agency of Government doing business with the Public has an absolutely ferocious firewall interface.  I'm not talking about a data breach.  But an Agency is also a functioning office with employees, homes, families, etc. just as if Civil Servants were real people ;o)  It may or may not be a problem in real life, but I can imagine a situation where a search might have access to Citizen's records and also (to lessen redundancy) considerably more detailed information about Agency Employees.  This would be very easy to miss in QA testing, and especially if you bought a package from a third party. The breach is generally from an SQL Injection Attack.  Hard to fight but easy to slow - send the attacker away from your domain and make them start over.  I think PII would be better than FOAF (no use telling someone where to look), but the lesson in either case is that user friendliness for legitimate users is sufficient for the goal.

With respect to Internationalization, I'm American and realize that the 200+ "Subjects" which go along with the 15 terms contain many Americanisms.  If someone is serious about translation, I can make those lists available.  I did do a mini-survey of "user profiles" in several Mail Clients and Office Suites since the information in profiles is added automatically on reformat or transmission.  By now everyone knows about browser cookies, but this source of personal information disclosure has been largely neglected.

Sorry it's long, is it clear ?

BTW, six years ago I offered this to the US Government (the Customs/Security folks).  They don't (understandably) take donations, which might cause Patent Problems (I do have a Copyright, I'd have to look it up).  So I wrote a 30 page proposal and put a price tag of exactly twice the yearly petty cash amount billable over two years.  AFAICT, they are still in the same Circle of Hell I put them in when they failed to read the proposal they insisted upon.  I did hear from some Consultants on the sly who said they rather enjoyed billing for bit bucket service just as often as possible :o)

--Gannon