Re: Following the July 12th International Open Gov't Partnership talks (Washington DC)

Hi Bernadette,

I'd like to suggest a (uniquely W3C) deliverable re your charter.
1. UTC and Daylight Saving Time are subject to tinkering by Local (Lord Howe Island, Australia) and sometimes National (Russian Federation) Governments.  This is a good thing, actually; the ability to make adjustments is friendly to local commerce. DST saves energy (maybe not as true as it was before air conditioning), but it is still clear that travel to and from the workplace is safer in daylight.
2. The EPA has a site which reports the UV Index (insert another cruel Washington joke here).  This uses Solar Noon rather than 12 o'clock noon, because that is a maximum.

3. I used Civil Twilight instead of Apparent Sunrise/Sunset for the same reason, because before the beginning and after the end of Civil Twilight is undeniably, stumbling around dark. Sometimes it's best to just to confuse people as little as possible. The minimum duration of Civil Twilight is near the Winter Solstice (Dec 22 in the Northern Hemisphere).

It becomes fairly easy to see why the Russian Federation went to permanent DST (Summer Time).  Belarus is thinking of following suit.  Ireland should watch Belarus. Azerbaijan is far enough south that a usual schedule fits fine.  Links to graphics  ...

http://tinyurl.com/white-nights-forever  (maybe a bit of wishful thinking)

--Gannon