Re: More Talk of a a Federalized Web

Isn't that the domain of metadata standards (I believe the TAG is looking at this ATM) and subsequent integration into the semweb? Relying on DNS to handle that sort of thing lends itself to error the second your host, or your data, is offshore. You are also putting an undue expectation on TLD administrators to work closely with work with every state in the world in registering each and every entity in an administration as a TLD. And you also need to account for MoG (machinery of government) changes - what happens when a new administration comes in and splits a department in two?

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying yours is a bad idea - just that there is a lot to think about in realizing it as a reality.

Prehaps judicious use of the .info domain could be an option?

A change of business rules could see .info used in a true information sense, reserved for gov or authority (or encyclopedic) use. epa.company.info would make semantic sense for carbon footprint on a company, just as securities.company.info would make sense for corporate registry info.

cheers

Chris Beer (iPhone)