From: tim.g.davies@gmail.com [mailto:tim.g.davies@gmail.com] On Behalf
Of Tim Davies
Sent: Sunday, June 06, 2010 10:10 AM
To: Cory Casanave
Cc: public-egov-ig@w3.org
Subject: Re: Potential project: Supporting the Linked Data Consumer

Hello Cory

I'm new to this list (currently researching end-uses of government open
data, with an interested in the linked data side of it), so hope the
following are a relevant reply to your write up - which I agree
wholeheartedly addresses a really important issue of increasing the
usability of open govt data.

In terms of supporting technologies a look at what the EnACKing project
has been doing with pulling together PSI might be useful
(http://www.enakting.org/enakting/home). Their mapping demonstration
(http://map.psi.enakting.org/) gives one demo for showing how geo-linked
data can be pulled back in useful forms. The PSI Catalogues aggregator
may also be of interest here (http://bagatelles.ecs.soton.ac.uk/psi/)

One small, possibly quick, win when looking at data catalogues from a
user-perspective would be adding a way for applications that consume and
re-present the data (such as the TWC Data.gov demo's) to ping-back to a
dataset record and thus get a link from the dataset to the application
set-up - facilitating end-user discovery of custom applications that
might provide a useful view on the data they are looking at. (There are
some notes on ideas of Semantic Ping Back here:
http://aksw.org/Projects/SemanticPingback - but not sure if this is
directly relevant)

In terms of design methodologies - a lot of what's been developed far is
very technology driven. Whilst in 'Communicating the LOD Vision' you
address a key use case from the point of view of proving the value of
the technology - I wonder what user-centred design methods could help
with developing such demonstrations, and ultimately tools of long-term
value to non-technical users. For example, from a technology demo side
it is tempting to focus on questions tools can answer given current data
- but end users may have questions/needs which can't be met with the
existing data - and any cloud being able to show people the gaps (and
hopefully thus encourage their filling) as well as showing people what
is present might prove useful.

All the best

Tim Davies

@timdavies