Re: what's a dataset? -- Re: Public Data Catalog Priorities and Demand

Hey all

Hope everyone had a great holiday season! Well, time has passed, and my
original reply to this message that is still in draft and was never sent
off would make little sense now the discussion has progressed - I was
threatened with various painful events if I even made a passing glance
at work stuff (W3C especially included) during the Christmas break  ;-)
Most of my reply was using Antti's original questions as a reference
point - relevant, but we've moved to more abstract examples. But Antti -
I must thank you - I now know that there are something like 187,888
lakes in Finland, and I love little random facts like that :-)

So anyway - on with the discussion. I feel that Brand makes a very good
point, and a very succinct one at that. And when I take Jose's original
conundrum, combine it with Brand's reply, and then Davids on from that,
I can see a nice definition starting to form - which leads me in a full
circle back to Jose - we've talked datapoints, datasets, databases - all
the things you'd expect we'd cover. And as I read Jose's message again,
something strikes me that we are missing from the equation.

Jose said " I tried for a long while, telling myself a dataset should be
anything that is meaningful as a separate entity and that datasets can
be combined into super-datasets."

Well why the hell not?! :) What we're talking about here, at the core,
is normalisation. We do it for datapoints, datasets and databases - and
now that we are linking up .gov.* data and trying to determine issues
such as providence, trust etc - prehaps we, or rather, the .gov.* data
crowd, should take to data normalisation on a larger scale - viewing the
GD as a whole and removing replication etc to try and obtain a minimum
number of databases needed to provide all the data. Prehaps also we need
to step back from the concept of the dataset and define the database a
little - if a Government links all of its data together perfectly, does
that in itself create a database. Or from another view - is data.gov.*
in and of itself, a database?

Defining a dataset should on the face of it, be easy - a dataset is a...
wait for it.... a Set. Of Data. :-P  Okay - brevity aside though - it
could be as simple as that. As Paul Benyon-Davies basically puts it -
Data, and by extension, a dataset, cannot convey meaning. It can't tell
you anything in and of itself. To turn a dataset (raw symbols) into
*Information* (ie: symbols that refer to something), you need to analyse
it someohw - that is, assign it some meaning. It's the *Information*
that the public commonly see and define as "data" or a "dataset" - a
particular view of data within a database that conveys meaning.

So really we only need to define a) Data and b) a Database and we thus
automatically define c) a Dataset - that is - any amount of data (any
more than 1?) extracted from a database in any structural form (list,
point data, policy info etc) that is then used to present a particular
view (query) of the data by assigning meaning to it (analysis) - exactly
as David describes it - it's just a particular set of data items. There
seems to be no reason that a dataset can't be created dynamically as
needed, providing that the database, or rather, the actual data, is
persistant.

Thoughts? Am we over simplifying things? Personally I think it should be
as easy as Brand and Paul describe.

Cheers

Chris
Canberra, Australia

(btw - Beynon-Davies bio:

"Paul Beynon-Davies is currently Professor of organisational informatics
in the Cardiff Business School at Cardiff University. He received his
BSc in Economics and Social Science and PhD in Computing from University
of Wales College, Cardiff. He is currently a member of the British
Computer Society, the Association of Information Systems and the UK
Academy of Information Systems. Before taking up an academic post he
worked for several years in the IT industry in the UK both in the public
and private sectors. Prof. Beynon-Davies has published widely in the
field of information systems, information management and information
technology. He has currently published nine books, numerous academic
papers (Journal papers, Conference Papers) and professional articles on
topics ranging from the nature of informatics, electronic business,
electronic government, information systems planning, information systems
development and database systems. Paul Beynon-Davies still regularly
acts as a consultant to the public and private sector particularly in
the area of information and communications technology (ICT) and its
impact on organisational performance. Over the last decade he has
engaged in a number of government-funded projects related to the impact
of ICT on the economic, social and political spheres including an
evaluation of electronic local government in Wales, the evalution of the
National Assembly for Wales' Cymru-ar-Lein/Information Age strategy for
Wales. Between 2006 and 2008 he was director of the eCommerce Innovation
Centre at Cardiff University which included the Broadband Observatory
for Wales."

So apparently a bit of a whiz when it comes to this e-government stuff
;)  Recruit him to the IG. Now. Seriously.

)