Re: [Soc Med] Meeting Reminder

Brian, SM Crew

Tentative apologies in the event I am not there - I am currently on call
for the next 48 or so hours - have to be available for Ministerial
announcement which may need to be published live at any time, so if I'm
not there, you know I'm in at work. If the call doesn't come - Skype is
set up and ready to rock! :-) (Hats off to Sandro for that suggestion
that I, for the life of me, never thought to explore!)

As far as a discussion of deliverables and issues prehaps to focus on
with Best Practices, I have been promoting rigourous discussion on
Social Media in the last couple of weeks within a particularily well
used Gov 2.0 Australia forum. Interest and discussion seems to have
centered on the following:

    * Legal issues and risk management
    * Community expectations (hard advice vs FYI)
    * Where the traditional media/journalists fit in to the G2C model
    * Responsibilities (inferred, assumed or otherwise) of the Community
      when engaging online with Gov (as opposed to the normal spin of
      responsibilities of Gov when engaging with Community)
    * Public Sector employees participating in media in an official vs
      unofficial/personal capacity
    * Attributes of social media - how does Gov make statement and
      comment part of the official record when the arena is Public and
      not owned by them. Persistence, verification, security etc
    * Where SM commonly fits in to existing guidelines and issues around
      development of SM guidelines and governance
    * Training for PS employees involved in SM and;
    * Who in the PS should engage in use, how and where.

I am very much hoping to attend to discuss and expand on these issues in
the Australian context, and to hopefully see how other participants see
these issues. Are they important? Are they something we can add to or
expand on as a group.

(4 1/2 hours in and still no call - 44 hours or so to go - fingers
crossed the Minister wants to relax this weekend.)

Cheers

Chris