RE: Proposal to structure new eGov IG

--- On Sun, 12/19/10, Hugh Barnes <Hugh.Barnes@nehta.gov.au> wrote:

> From: Hugh Barnes <Hugh.Barnes@nehta.gov.au>
> Subject: RE: Proposal to structure new eGov IG
> To: chris@e-beer.net.au
> Cc: "W3C eGov IG" <public-egov-ig@w3.org>
> Date: Sunday, December 19, 2010, 7:42 PM
> Chris wrote:
>

> * could someone explain the reason to single out
> accessibility as an eGov focus? I've been a huge
> accessibility advocate since long before it was fashionable
> and I understand that government information *must* be
> published accessibly, but surely this is a given and there
> are plenty of general accessibility resources available that
> do this job? What am I missing about eGov?

I do think eGov is a special case.  The reason is that, absent Commercial intents, links can traverse levels of Government in a much more straight forward manner.  For example [1].  This is a text click map of Tasmania, based on 1216.0 - Australian Standard Geographical Classification (ASGC), July 2010.  This example is a template for how communities might join together to provide local services without referencing the classification system underneath.  Note that the 9 digit identifiers are available, but not necessary for navigation.  I'm sure the local names are much more familiar, to the local communities at least.

--Gannon

[1] http://www.rustprivacy.org/sun/spookville/au-tas/au-tas.xml