Re: Proposal to structure new eGov IG

These are all very good points - +1.

However I can see Michael's suggestion as a way to align the group's
activites along existing W3 efforts to maximise liason and
implementation of these efforts into the IG's output. Rather than
running the risks as put forward by Tom, Malcolm and Todd, I see this as
a way to combine both approaches - organise internally in order to deal
with, and produce external output for, issues of interest and concern to
the Gov community that span not only technological considerations, but
disparate policy approaches, government forms, legal systems etc.

Daniel's list, and I am guessing David's will not be too far disimilar
in concept, essentially  form the "Issues Register" of the group.
Picking any one of them - for instance "Publishing documents especially
laws and regulations that can be used and cited" gives us an instant to
do list (keeping it really simple here btw - just an example):

1) We have identified an issue of interest to the e-Gov community that
is common to all governments at all levels.

2) The issue is passed to the TF's for workshopping and liason:

    a) eGov Interoperability TF - They could examine how this issue is
    affected by disparate systems, languages etc and the best way to
    ensure maximum usability by citizens and others through the
    application of W3 Interoperability Standards - LOD, SemWeb, Schemas,
    Citability etc. It could also examine future tech applications such
    as the Metadata Standard that TAG is working on atm. Taking an
    agnositc approach to the actual tech used by Gov's, how does a
    Government/s and/or agencies maximise interoperability regardless of
    the tech used? They would also put together a list of relevant
    contacts within and without W3 (esp. non-vendors) who are available
    to assist governments in addressing interoperability issues.

    b) eGov Accessibility TF - As above, but with a focus on
    accessibility. What steps need to be taken to ensure published
    material is accessible. How to deal with alternate accessible
    formats vs policy and legal considerations such as copyright,
    security, and authoratative formats. Using the community to produce
    accessible online versions of printed laws and regulations through
    volunteer digitisation efforts. The value of publishing the
    information over the original look, feel and formatting - why TXT
    can be more useful that PDF.

    c) eGov Social Media TF - As above but with the focus on SM. How do
    we tell people about what we are publishing. Crowdsourcing and SM
    for legislative and regulatory consultation processes. Shorteners
    and third-party apps - protecting your "brand" to promote trust and
    provenance. SEO and government publications. etc. How can SM be used
    to connect stakeholders - Gov, Citizens, Acedemia, Research and 3rd
    sector organisations.

    d) eGov Cloud Computing TF - As above etc. Publishing in the cloud.
    Many agencies, central repositories - data.gov.*, law.gov.*,
    archive.gov.*. Traditional Government Control vs CC - issues and
    impacts. etc.

    e) General IG discussion on the wider policy impacts of the issue
    that lie outside of the technological sphere. Are there any general
    better practice approaches? Is there some element of standardisation
    that can be promoted that is common to all Gov regardless of
    political system, social/public services makeup, legal system or
    level of Gov?

    f) General IG discussion on how this issue looks if being dealt with
    from a starting position rather than changing existing approaches -
    what advice do we have for emerging states who are creating a policy
    from scratch or who are only just realising that this is an issue
    for them. Liason with groups such as the UN, Web Foundation etc to
    identify the needs of such states around this issue.

3) The output from each TF is put together to form a robust and
comprehensive IG note. This could range from a tech and
gov/political/legal agnostic policy framework (if possible and always
the preferred end product), or an issues paper, or a better practice
guide. Any IG note should always include key contacts and resources, to
assist Government in dealing with the issue and to automatically allow
for Outreach.

Oh - suggestion - in addition, the IG could produce a monthly news
digest of e-Gov related material from the W3 (and
Governments/elsewhere?), with each TF using their W3 liason contacts
with other W3 groups to collate news of relevance within thier sphere
for inclusion.

Cheers

Chris