From: Richard Cyganiak [mailto:richard@cyganiak.de]
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2010 4:27 PM
To: Cory Casanave
Cc: public-egov-ig IG
Subject: Re: SPARQL best practice for egov?

Hi Cory,

On 27 Apr 2010, at 15:30, Cory Casanave wrote:
> 2- Community: We are proposing a supposedly simple approach to a
> global
> data grid.  Such a proposal will only be accepted if it works well, is
> very simple to use and does not have major usability holes (such as
> the
> poor relationship between a URI and a query point).  The user
> perspective must take priority over legacy implementation patterns and
> sunk investment of vendors.  This technology is at its infancy and
> must
> not be crippled by a such a tactical perspective, least it fail - and
> currently failure is an option.  Complex and expensive algorithms to
> follow a link are unacceptable.

So the two options were:

a) make every URI respond to the SPARQL Protocol,

b) add a link to every document, and follow that link to another
document that tells you where the SPARQL endpoint is.

You suggest above that b) has the following problems:

- it wouldn't work well,
- it has usability holes,
- it doesn't take the user perspective into account,
- it cripples linked data technology,
- it is expensive.

I don't think that you would arrive at such a conclusion after a
neutral evaluation of both approaches, to be honest.

Best,
Richard