Re: [dcat] Notes from today's meeting

Hi Sandro, all!

I like where you're going with this. Unfortunately I was unable to
attend this time, as I was caught up in another meeting (relating to
open data of course..).

For reference, I'd like to mention the notes I have at the COURT
project site, on collecting data from datasets at [1] and [2]. This is
basically an outline of the practise used to gather data in the
Swedish legal information system ("RInfo"), where sources are
currently described like in [3].

My interest lies a lot in the relationship between datasets and feeds.
>From my perspective, there are some important details to iron out
regarding how to describe and use distribution and update
notifications. The references I provide speak of three different ways
to link a dataset to a feed subscription document: via dady, directly
using dcat:subscription, or (as in [3]) just iana:current. I think
dcat:subscription may be the best way if it becomes a standard.

Note also (as mentioned in [1]) that a distribution mechanism based on
Atom feeds probably needs to use something stable like feed archives
or complete feeds (described in RFC 5005 [4]), since collecting data
from regular paged feeds cannot be guaranteed to be complete (due to
variations of a feed page over time, which can cause a climbing
mechanism to miss entry updates). (For reference, there's a vocabulary
by Toby Inkster at [5] which defines these types of feeds, as subtypes
of AtomOwl:s Feed class.)

(There is also documentation in *swedish* describing how collection of
Atom feeds is done in the mentioned Rinfo system, at [6]. You can try
Google Translate on it, but I guarantee nothing legible. ;) )

[1]: <http://code.google.com/p/court/wiki/Timelines>
[2]: <http://code.google.com/p/court/wiki/RDF_Practices#Data_Sources>
[3]: <http://rinfo.lagrummet.se/sys/sources/rdf>
[4]: <http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5005>