XBRL Workshop, US Federal IT Strategic Plan & Cloud Computing

At the CIO Council's (CIOC) Architecture and Infrastructure Committee (AIC)
meeting this afternoon, Chief Architect Kshemendra Paul mentioned XBRL in
conjunction with Recovery.gov and opportunities for "financial
surveillance".  He noted that someone representing XBRL will be speaking at
the NIEM conference in Baltimore but the XBRL workshop in Arlington wasn't
mentioned.

During the last week of this month and the first week of October at least
five different, fairly significant XML-related events are occurring in the
DC/Baltimore area: http://xml.gov/index.asp#September

BTW, the CIOC is drafting a *Federal* IT strategic plan (as opposed to a
plan just for the CIOC itself, as has been its practice for the past several
years).  Needless to say, I will be rendering it in StratML format as soon
as possible, for inclusion in our collection at
http://xml.gov/stratml/index.htm#CIOC (If the plan is to be effective, it
will be necessary to consult with its stakeholders, particularly those whose
actions will be required to carry it out.)  Unlike past practice, a
performance management system is to be put in place to track progress
against the plan (but I will need to see it to believe it).  In addition, a
"mechanism" is envisioned to evaluate potential initiatives against the plan
(which, again, I will need to see to believe).

The AIC will also be drafting a scope of work and seeking volunteers to help
draft a specification documenting .gov needs/wishes for cloud computing
applications.  That thought prompted me to discover
http://cloud-standards.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page and infer a
mission and goal statements from their press release:
http://xml.gov/stratml/CSO.xml

The next round of revisions to the FEA models are being "teed up" for
consideration in October and November.

It will be interesting to see how the eGov IG might fit into and add value
to such plans.

Owen