Re: Defining "Open" Data (was RE: no F2F3 in 2009 -- Re: Agenda, eGov IG Call, 11 Nov 2009)

Indeed we've been in conversation with the people behind the Open
Government Data Principles about how we can incorporate the Open
Knowledge Definition (which I think pre-dated the Government Data
Principles by a couple of years) into their definition. I'm not sure
how actively maintained the Open Government Principles are though...

Also we've had several discussions about point 8. of the OGD
principles which says that open government data must be 'license
free'. We are not sure about this. For example many governments use
licenses (such as the UK's Click Use PSI license - which is Open
Knowledge Definition compliant) which mean that anyone can use the
data with almost no restriction. Point 8. might be US Federal
government bias - and implies that all rights in data must be waived,
rather than using rights to enforce basic measures such as attribution
and integrity as is the case in the UK and many other European
countries.

We'd love to create something like opendefinition.org/government which
would basically be the OKD plus some additional
recommendations/requirements such as those in the OGD principles.

Best wishes,

Jonathan

--
Jonathan Gray