Re: VS: generic list of public data sources

 Hi all

I like where this discussion is going. I agree that tags will certainly
offer flexibility, and probably should form the kernel of a system at a
more specific level of use, however tagging in and of itself presents
the problem of standards and taxomies, especially when looking at the
problem from a cross-border or e-Government perspective.

The direction tagging is taking, as seen in the public eye, is for the
public themselves to do the tagging, either explicitly or via search
term mining by a hosting organisation. If tags are specifically set by
the public sector, there is always the possibility that the tags lose
relevance to the user. (An example from the Australian perspective would
be Social Security Benefits paid to unemployed people. Standard public
sector governance anywhere (I'm guessing) would tag such a dataset as
"social security" or "social services". However 90% of the public in
Australia would tag this as "The dole" - a commonly accepted nickname
for "social security benefits."). The cross-border issues I see as being
most immediate in a tagged based system is in the
localisation/translation aspect - the flexibility of tagging can easily
become a nightmare in terms of defining a namespace and terms for
translating tags on the fly.

While I accept that tagging is certainly the way of the future for most
publically accessible data, I think that if this taxonomy goes that way,
it should work hand in hand at this point with a strict taxonomy of some
sorts, even basic DC metadata,  until a stable distribution of  tags
(gleaned from public tagging?) forms and a vocabulary for a namespace
could be developed with some degree of accuracy.

My own experiences have shown that there is so much cross-over on
datasets in terms of  category or business "ownership" (even within a
single department/ministry) that its almost impossible to link data
straight to government portfolio and business area unless its very
specific data. Machinery of Government changes (the creation of new
departments/ministries, or the seperation or mashup/restructure of
existing ones) will also affect how data is categorised  if we're
following Vassilios's quick and dirty method, even when adding "life
event" or "business episodes". Different types of political systems also
create different inherent structures and portfolio areas (eg: countries
where law enforcement is the purview of the defence forces for instance).

Thought: Would it be worth doing something akin to, or in concert with,
the proposal put forward in the "Group Call Tomorrow / Best Practice
Publishing" thread of "seeing what's out there" - ie: a quick collation
on how all governments at all levels are actually structured at the top
level in terms of portfolios, departments, ministries etc and see what
patterns, if any, appear? It may then give this discussion a good point
of reference to start hacking on to come up with some sort of system
that works - which I personally think needs to be done, and for more
than just datasets - I think any public sector information on the
internet could benefit in this regard.

Cheers

Chris Beer
Invited Expert