Re: Wiki edits on data.gov.*

Hi Jose, Hugh,

About this snippet:

"If you have an existing Web site, and would like to make your XHTML
information (say a table of figures) available as re-useable data,
RDFa and GRDDL are two good approaches to use."

Considering the fact that both Google and Yahoo harvest embedded RDFa
from webpages, I would suggest to emphasize RDFa as the preferred way
of embedding (meta)data in existing XHTML. JSON is nice, but is really
more of a separate syntax for serializing RDF-like information (as are
the various different syntaxes for RDF).

-Rinke

On 29 jun 2009, at 12:22, Jose M. Alonso wrote:

> El 22/06/2009, a las 7:10, Hugh Barnes escribió:
>> Hi
>>
>> I've made some edits and scribbled a few notes on the data.gov.*
>> memo Jose started.[1]
>
> Thanks!
>

>> I'd like to take a step back and think about this structurally.
>> What follows is some disjoint thoughts.
>>
>> I think it will need to drill down to implementation specifics,
>> though we can probably hide the details behind hyperlinks if that
>> gets in the way of content flow.
>
> Although this is interesting, I wouldn't add the details in that
> document. Those would be very likely the "Design Patterns for Open
> Government Data" we mentioned a couple times before.
>
> I don't think we could hide them behind hyperlinks yet since it will
> take us a while to get them done.
>

>> The sections I see at the moment are:
>> * make the case for doing it, and doing it properly - lots of
>> explanations and examples of network effects and so on
>> * what to publish
>> * exploration of formats etc (how)
>>
>> We could also cover each principle, followed immmediately by
>> implementation advice.
>
> We probably need to think agin in terms of target audience. For me,
> that document is not intended for implementors.
>
> I very much hope the ETF could come up soon with a "card" or
> "template", as Rachel mentioned, that would need to be filled before
> starting docs, stating intended audience among other things.
>

>> Knowing the difficulty many agencies have in adapting, the whole
>> document should accept that interim and partial steps will be more
>> likely to be followed, but also plot the roadmap from there to the
>> ideal state. It should contain clear steps for different types of
>> data and organisational capabilities. Linking to the planned "OGD
>> patterns" resources might address this.
>
> Agree!
>

>> Lots of ways to cut this document. Would like to hear feedback on
>> its current state and some of the ideas presented above.
>
> Yup... I hope others will send comments, too.
> I know ETF plans to take on Charter and White Paper as agreed with
> Chairs but hope more people from IG comment on the content and ETF
> could add this one to the list of deliverables soon.
>
> I think we should also set a deadline for comments for this document
> and upcoming ones so ETF could take on those consistently after
> deadlines.
>
> -- Jose
>

>> Cheers
>>
>> Hugh Barnes
>> Resource Discovery Officer
>> Disability Services Queensland / Department of Communities
>> +61 7 324-74533
>>
>> [1] http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/wiki/index.php?title=Data-gov-memo&oldid=1404
>>  (archive permalink)
>>

>> "Queensland celebrates its 150th anniversary in 2009. Check out
>> what's on today at www.q150.qld.gov.au."
>>
>> ********************************* DISCLAIMER
>> *********************************
> [...]

---
Drs Rinke Hoekstra

Leibniz Center for Law      |  AI Department
Faculty of Law              |  Faculty of Sciences
Universiteit van Amsterdam  |  Vrije Universiteit
Kloveniersburgwal 48        |  De Boelelaan 1081a
1012 CX  Amsterdam          |  1081 HV Amsterdam
+31-(0)20-5253499           |  +31-(0)20-5987752
hoekstra@uva.nl             |  hoekstra@few.vu.nl

Homepage: http://www.leibnizcenter.org/users/rinke