Re: data.gov.* memo

On Tue, Jun 16, 2009 at 18:34, Joe Carmel<joe.carmel@comcast.net> wrote:
> Given our focus on an electronic government, I think
> we need to consider recommending that in order to avoid copyright
> infringement by machines, governments should consider providing copyright
> information in a machine-readable standards-based format (which I don’t
> believe exists?) especially for the files on their sites that are protected
> by copyright.

This could maybe be a use case for semantic web technologies. In fact,
Creative commons have established URI:s for the various licenses which
allows them to use them in a machine readable way. An example is to
embed CC license info in a XHTML page with RDFa (see
http://wiki.creativecommons.org/RDFa). The same method can of course
be used in all data served as RDF.

Regards,

Peter Krantz