Re: Legislation on the web...

John,

Thank you for your reply! Having looked through the schema and
documentation for your XML format I am very interested in knowing more
about your production process. How are the XML documents created? What
tools do you provide for legislators that need to create documents
without knowing the innards of your XML schema?

Over here, we decided to use a generic document format to express the
document structure. We are looking into XHTML (2) for this. To express
specific legal information (e.g. document types, metadata and
relations to other documents etc.) we have created a vocuabulary (with
RDFS and OWL) that we use thorugh RDFa in the actual documents. This
is makes it possible to do exciting stuff with the dataset while being
simple to implement for publishers. This method also enables
government agencies to create their own domain specific vocabularies
to encode their own data.

We also have to deal with a lot of PDF documents (e.g. old laws) and
for these we require the same triples expressed in an additional
metadata file. Documents are created at various government agencies,
published on their website, collected (by reading an Atom feed) and
assigned a permanent URI through a central system. Documents will
eventually be available through the government legal information
portal lagrummet.se (see http://www.lagrummet.se/english/).

Kind regards,

Peter Krantz
Strategic Development Officer
Verva, Swedish Administrative Development Agency
Postal address: Box 214, SE-101 24 Stockholm, Sweden
Telephone: 08-55 05 57 74
Fax: 08-23 02 10
http://www.verva.se/english