Re: 2 Proposals for Minimum Viable InputEvent

> But I cannot really see why we should replace the current spec, which
really solves a lot of issues as it is with a severely limited version for
which it's not clear if there is a value of having it for most  editors.

Well, in my view the "restartInput" argument I made earlier basically
eliminates almost all the value that preventDefaulting IME events is
intended to provide.  preventDefaulting an IME event would wind up with a
behavior that's basically broken and far inferior to editing the DOM at
"input" event time, at least on one platform (and it's very important to us
that what we ship is usable on all platforms).  What the problem would look
like in practice is one of: A) if we always restartInput, then compositions
are constantly canceled unnecessarily on JS editors that maintain the
plaintext distillation, or B) if we never restartInput, then whenever some
JS preventDefaults *without* maintaining the plaintext distillation, then
the Android IME would get out of sync and start showing once again those
wacky text duplication and deletion bugs that you were complaining about
earlier.

The only possible remaining value for preventDefaulting is for "rich
backspace"-style use cases which actually do intend to modify the plain
text distillation, but that's much narrower than what you have in mind.

On the other hand, Piotr stated that the conservative proposal still allows
"a pretty significant simplification, comparing to what we have to do now."
so it sounds like non-cancelable IME beforeinput still would provide value
to editors, while being relatively painless and risk-free for UAs.

So personally, I'm increasingly convinced after chewing on the discussion
so far that our proposal (plus those two 2 additional tweaks) is the best
way forward for everyone.

--
Alex