Re: 2 Proposals for Minimum Viable InputEvent

> One of the editors, ProseMirror therefore recently changed to a model
where it would let the browser handle changes to text nodes and then
roll-back those changes if undesired. The problem was that this lead to
"edit flashes" [2] where the user can see the DOM changes twice rapidly.

Right, my proposal you described as "babysitting Javascript" would be to
treat such "edit flashes" as a UA bug that we could fix (provided the JS
DOM change is completed synchronously within scope of input event, and does
not change the plaintext distillation).  This approach would not require
any new web platform API, it would just make the longstanding APIs work
better for your use case.

> The problem is that the plaintext distillation may eb slightly different,
if for example, the JavaScript uses animated gifs for some of the letters

I believe this use case can only be solved by the long-term "full
model/view/controller" IME solution yosin@ and I ultimately prefer, whereby
IME talks to an invisible textbox "model" and JS maps it to any
DOM/canvas/WebGL.  You need 100% separation between plaintext distillation
and user-visible representation to do things like this, and none of the
proposals on the table address it.

> For example, how do we handle the backspace and delete keys now? We
listen to keydown, discover which key was pressed and with what modifiers
and delete the content. We might not be able to implement "delete word" or
"delete soft line" very precisely, but these are really minor issues. So,
in this case the before input wouldn't give us anything. Actually, it'd be
even worse than listening to the keydown event because we can cancel the
keydown event.

Acknowledged, the backspace-to-delete-line problem is quite familiar to
me.  Note that on Android, IME typically send deleteSurroundingText(1, 0)
IME event when soft backspace key is pressed, or even
setComposition("hell") (if previous text was currently-being-composed
"hello").  So some amount of JS hackery for rich backspace seems
unavoidable, unfortunately.

> The same with text formatting – we can easily listen to CTRL+B to know
whether someone wants to bold a text.

The current plan is that we will allow Ctrl-B beforeinput to be one of the
few cancelable ones.  It never originates from any known IME so it's
relatively easy, and there will be no other event fired for Mac OS X
touchbar buttons for bold/italic.

> However, there's one nasty case which may still require hacking if the
event isn't cancelled. It's how the editor can delete the content itself
when the user is typing over a non-empty selection. We can't let the
browser do that because we wouldn't know how to convert those changes to
the model (and sometimes it might simply be impossible).

Understood.  I'm not a fan of the solutions to this issue proposed so far,
but how about this: what if we extend "getTargetRanges()" to work on the
"input" event (not only "beforeinput") to indicate what range of text has
just been inserted?  That should provide the same information as the
"deletion/insert" split option, without adding one of those "phantom"
events I dislike.  Knowing precisely what range has just been inserted,
your JS could then remove it from DOM, apply your deletion reconciliation
algorithm, and then reinsert it.

--
Alex