Re: 2 Proposals for Minimum Viable InputEvent

Hey,

this is a major blow-back and taking us back to start. I am not sure the
beforeinput event serves any purpose with these changes applied. Editors
will likely just continue to do what they do now. They'll listen to
keypress/keydown events. Is this meant to be a final proposal or is it
meant to be a first step you can ship now before going back to discuss the
full proposal in the next step?

IME: The entire reason you don't want this to work seems to be because you
want to underline words in Android without yet having decided whether to
start an IME process around them. Could you not just solve this by drawing
this line without starting the IME?

Keyboard input: You want to cripple keyboard input events because you
crippled IME input events. This is not a good idea. JS developers still
have the key events which can be canceled, so they will use those instead.
Also, it's not just format* and history* events that can make arbitrary
changes -- selecting a range that crosses from one paragraph to another and
hitting one key or inserting content from the clipboard will merge the
paragraphs involved and therefore also cause large-scale arbitrary DOM
changes.

Right now I cannot see any purpose of the beforeinput event with these
changes applied, but maybe I am missing something?

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 11:05 PM, Chong Zhang <chongz@chromium.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We had some discussions within the Chrome team (involving individual
> platform teams) and some concerns that will block us shipping were raised.
>
> Please follow the link to the detailed proposals and reasonings:
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yPZEkHl_WOPjVeilZjE1XmlyjLCe-
> uS7THI0SboyrMM/edit?usp=sharing
>
> Thanks,
> Chong