Fwd: Proposed Agenda

The discussion in the call seemed to center mostly around the plaintext
version of the clipboard. I thought this didn't matter too much as one can
always just create a different plaintext version based on the richtext
version of the clipboard.

But then I looked at what browsers copy in the html version.

On Chrome/Linux 54,

turns into

style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family: &quot;Times New Roman&quot;;
font-size: medium; font-style: normal; font-variant-ligatures: normal;
font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal;
orphans: 2; text-align: start; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: uppercase;
white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px;
-webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; text-decoration-style: initial;
text-decoration-color: initial; display: inline !important; float:
none;">THIS IS SOME TEXT.</span>

on Chrome/Windows 53, it turns into

<!--StartFragment--><span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-family:
&quot;Times New Roman&quot;; font-size: medium; font-style: normal;
font-variant-ligatures: normal; font-variant-caps: normal; font-weight:
normal; letter-spacing: normal; orphans: 2; text-align: start; text-indent:
0px; text-transform: uppercase; white-space: normal; widows: 2;
word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; display: inline
!important; float: none;">THIS IS SOME TEXT.</span><!--EndFragment-->

This is much more problematic, because now there is actual information
loss, and one cannot reconstruct a better plaintext version from the
richtext no matter what. Paste handlers will strip almost all of the style
information, but as some other mentioned here, there are arguments to be
made to include them. But if you include all the css styling, then it
doesn't seem to make sense to apply text-transform directly.

Firefox/Linux creates this html-copy:

  This is some text.

or

depending on how much of the surroundings one selects.

Fidus Writer
http://www.fiduswriter.org